Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Apartment

I never thought I would ever write the following sentence before seeing The Apartment, but... Shirley McLaine is hot! I have no idea how the charming actress from this movie became the crazy that she is known as now. I now have a major crush on 1960 Shirley McLaine. The movie is great. Jack Lemmon gives a perfect performance as a young employee at a company who loans his apartment out to adulterous company executives in exchange for raises. He then falls for McLaine's character, who is one of the executives mistresses and must choose between her and his job. Lemmon is hilarious and relateable in this role, which is newly crowned one of my favorite Jack Lemmon movies, alongside Some Like It Hot, also directed by Billy Wilder, who was the king of comedy at that time. I was also shocked to see Fred MacMurray (My Three Sons) and Ray Walston (My Favorite Martian) in villianous roles as the cheating executives. I grew up watching these two on Nick at Nite in completely likeable roles. It excites me for the future discoveries I will make during my project and makes me wish that typecasting wasn't so deadly to an actor's career. The Apartment mixes comedy with drama seamlessly and makes me pine for more movies like this today instead of garbage like Disaster Movie, Superhero Movie, Epic Movie, and any other movie claiming to be comedy.

Trivia: The last completely black and white film to win the Best Picture Oscar.

No comments:

Post a Comment