Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Bringing Up Baby

I have now seen Bringing Up Baby, a 1938 Howard Hawks comedy. Katherine Hepburn plays an hieress who develops a crush on Cary Grant's Zoologist and tricks him into spending time with her on the day he is supposed to be married to someone else. Hepburn's character reminds me of that Psycho girlfriend that everyone has had. I'm talking about those girls that will do and say anything to trick you into being with them. I felt just as anxious as Grant's character as Hepburn does one thing after another, including faking an attack in her apartment and car theft, just to keep him around her. It was really funny, but if someone had put me through what she does in the movie, I would run in the other direction. Of course, Grant ends up with Hepburn in the end, which makes no sense to me. I believe he does this because at the begginging of the movie, Grant's girlfriend announces that once married, she does not want to have babies. In 1938, No babies=no sex. Hepburn, on the other hand, manages to get Grant naked the second day she knows him. The movie was really entertaining, but it made me realize that previous to this film, I have only seen one Cary Grant movie (Charade) and one Katherine Hepburn movie (Desk Set) . I am looking forward to seeing more this year including Philadelphia Story, North by Northwest, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and The African Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment