Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Philadelphia Story

I saw my second Katherine Hepburn/Cary Grant film, 1940's The Philadelphia Story, with the added bonus of James Stewart in his Oscar winning role. I liked this film a lot more then Bringing Up Baby. It is a comedy, also, but less farcical and more realistic. The only problem I had with it was the ending. I don't think Hepburn ended up with the right person in the end, but I think that might be because I related to the guy she didn't end up with more. The supporting cast was really great and the dialoge was superb (It also won an Oscar for best screenplay) My favorite scene was When a drunken James Stewart shows up at Cary Grants house in the middle of the night to discuss Hepburn. I liked that Hepburn and Grant played very diffrent characters than they did in Bringing Up Baby.It was directed by George Cukor, who was sort of the Nora Ephron of his time. I urge all of you to see this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment