Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Streetcar Named Desire

I never really thought a movie in the 50's could deal as frankly with the subject of Abusive relationships, suicide, mental illness, and rape as A Streetcar Named Desire did. It's a very raw movie about a woman who moves in with her sister and her abusive husband and is driven to having a mental breakdown. It star Vivien Leigh and Marlon Brando with excellent supporting performances from Kim Hunter (Planet of the Apes) as Stella, the sister and Karl Malden as one of Stanley's friends that tries to woo Leigh's character and is about the only likeable character in the movie. This is the earliest Brando performance I have seen and the guy is a genius. I was pissed every time he wasn't in a scene and got really excited when he shows up. It is one of only 2 movies to win 3 acting Oscars (The other being Network in 77) It is by far my favorite movie I've seen this year so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment