Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Wizard Of Oz

I have seen The Wizard of Oz before. As a matter of fact, This is the first film I ever remember seeing. I used to wake up early every weekend and put on our VHS of The Wizard of Oz complete with commercials for dish washer detergent that had a revolutionary squeezable cap so you didn't even have to take the cap off. I loved the wizard of Oz and would sit patiently waiting for Dorthy to shut up with her damn singing so we could get to Oz already. This movie, along with Batman, is probably the reason I love movies so much. I felt like Scarecrow, Tin Man, and the Lion were my friends. I wanted to hang out with Munchkins and throw buckets of water on anyone who made me mad. I remember being frightened of the violent apple trees. I was baby sitting Aidan today and decided to show him the film, wondering if he would like it as much as I did. I think he will appreciate it more as he gets older. He loved Toto, barking along with him and saying "Doggy!" every time Toto was on screen. He also loves Margaret Hamilton's Wicked Witch of The West, laughing anytime she would appear on screen and cackle. He got distracted by our real dog, Sadie, and I thought he wasn't as into the film as I was at his age, When I realized that there were scenes on that i didn't quite remember. The first half of the film I could almost still quote, but at some point, it became unfamiliar. I realized that I, too, had gotten distracted watching it as a kid. It gave me hope that he will fully appreciate it some day. It is about the most timeless film ever made. It is a film that is more re-watchable than any other film I can think of. Judy Garland is iconic in her role of Dorothy and every supporting character has so much charisma that the screen can barely hold it. I love that this film was made 71 years ago and doesn't feel as if it has aged. Some interesting trivia: This film lost the best Picture Oscar for 1939 to Gone With The Wind. Both films are considered one of the greatest of all time and both were directed by Victor Fleming.

No comments:

Post a Comment