Tuesday, December 21, 2010

King Kong

1933's King Kong ranks #43 on AFI's top 100 films. It was a landmark film for special effects in it's time and was a huge success. I, however, didn't enjoy it as much as the other films I have seen. With the exception of Robert Armstrong as Carl Denham, the acting is subpar and the plot is minimal. It is, however, a crowd pleaser and one of the few films on my list that I think a casual film watcher would be interested in. It's like the Transformers of it's time. It's an escape film. A film for people who want to suspend their disbelief and watch something fantastic. Even though It's not my kind of film, I can see why people like it and all those other Special Effects heavy films. Not everyone is searching for subtext, subtlety, or social commentary. Sometimes people just like to see a big ass gorrila fight a T-rex

No comments:

Post a Comment