Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Top Ten of 2010

This wasn't the strongest year for film, however, there were some greats. These are films that I felt were the best of the year, either due to acting, filmmaking, or simply connecting to me on a personal level. Three films that might have made the list are Somewhere, Rabbit Hole, and Blue Valentine. They have not been released wide yet, so I have yet to see them. I will post seperate reviews when I do. Without futher rambling:




1.) 127 Hours- Seeing this film has been the most personal movie-going experience I have had all year. I relate to the lead’s need of independence and desire to leave on an adventure without telling anyone. This plan backfiring and his realization that he has slowly cut out everyone important in his life makes for an extremely watch able story, James Franco’s performance and Danny Boyle’s stylish direction only making the film stronger.



2.) Black Swan- This film is a deeply satisfying story about how a performer literally goes crazy in order to perfect her performance. Darren Aronofsky’s direction is great, giving the film a feeling of uneasiness, but it is the cast that makes this film perfect. Natalie Portman gives everything she has and then some while the supporting cast doesn’t include a weak performance, particularly Barbara Hershey and Winona Ryder.



3.) True Grit-There is nothing I could write about the Coen brothers that hasn’t already being better written. They have a command of story that is rare in Hollywood and their quality to quantity ratio is unlike any directors ever. True Grit is no exception. The film is faithful to both the novel and the original John Wayne film, but manages to make the world the characters inhabit more realistic.



4.) The Fighter- I don't know how Christian Bale does it. Not only did he lose a significant amount of weight for this role, he literally disappears into his role of Mark Wahlberg's crackhead brother. The fact that he is the stand out in a film that also includes amazing performances from both Melissa Leo and Amy Adams just solidifies his status as one of the best working actors today. The film itself is funny and depressing at the same time, giving it an authentic feeling. It felt at times like I was watching a documentary instead of a dramitization. This was a film that I underestimated based on it's trailer and it's "boxing movie" label. This is much more than a boxing movie.



5.) The King’s Speech- This is a beautifully photographed film. I found myself noticing the beauty of the sets and all their details. The film goes from being good to great because of the performances of Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush as King George VI and his speech therapist. The two actors have amazing energy as the spar with each other and the relationship they build throughout the film is completely believable.



6.) The Social Network- This is a great film, expertly acted, written, and directed. It is a faithful portrait of our generation, not accomplishing things to make life better for mankind, but to get rich and be seen as cool. Jesse Eisenberg’s Zuckerberg quickly becomes seduced by the world that Justin Timberlake’s character presents to him that he loses his best friend in the process. This, like Black Swan, doesn’t have a weak link within it’s cast.



7.) Inception- I wish all action films were like this, using effects to tell a story rather than telling a “story” to show off effects. I love that this film expects me to think and be smart enough to keep up instead of dumbing down and treating the audience like idiots. I was literally on the edge of my seat the first time I saw this. Nolan is in total control of a film that feels out of control.



8.) Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World- I am not a fan of video games or anime, two huge influences on this film. I do, however, like films that are actually funny and witty. Edgar Wright is 3-0 with this film that becomes like candy to our eyes. If Social Network is a portrait of my generation’s ambition, this is an accurate portrait of my generations lack of ambition. The characters are barely cognizant of how they got from one moment to another, they just do. Michael Cera also delivers his least awkward teen performance to date.



9.) Shutter Island-Scorcese's love letter to the horror genre is more like a how-to for making a thriller. The cast is top notch and the scene with Leonardo DiCaprio in the lake with his children might be the most emotionally charged scene put to film this year.



10.) The Town- I love Ben Affleck the actor. I feel he is underrated. As a director, he is even better and thankfully getting the respect he deserves. Like The Fighter, this has an authentic east coast feel due to wonderful performances by Affleck, Jeremy Renner, and Rebecca Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment