Tuesday, December 21, 2010

You Can't Take It With You

George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart's play, "You Can't Take It With You" is the most produced high school play. That's when I first saw it about ten years ago. I went to a production at Brownwood High School. I thought it was hilarious. Especially the guy that played grandpa Vanderhof. I have also seen a few other productions of it since then, some good and some bad. So I knew what to expect when i put in the Best Picture Oscar Winner. Of course, like many adaptations, this one took liberties as well. Characters were added and taken away and the plot opened up some to include greedy bankers, no doubt because this was a depression era film. This film was directed by Frank Capra, who also directed three other films from my list. I have a feeling this will be the least of his films. The movie is alright, but never reaches the level of hysteria that i have seen on stage. I like how the play confines all the action to one room. It adds claustrophobia and a feeling of being trapped with all these crazy people. The film includes scenes in a park, restaurant, bank, etc. I understand it, it's just not the play I was used to. The performances are alright, with the stand outs being James Stewart, Donald Meek, and Lionel Barrymore as Grandpa. The film is very watchable, it just hasn't held up like the other films I've watched so far this year have

No comments:

Post a Comment