Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

If Do The Right Thing shows the negative side of racism, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner is a hopeful film. The cast is top notch: Katherine Hepburn as yet another completely diffrent character from the last two films, Sidney Poitier as a very admirable man that sticks to his convictions, Cecil Kellaway as my favorite charcater in the movie, an open minded, optomistic priest, and Spenser Tracy in his final role as a liberal newspaperman who's principles are put to the test when his daughter brings home a black man she intends to marry. Tracy is great in this and with his glasses, I kept thinking about the old man from Up and wondering if they moedeled his look after Tracy in this. This movie was very good and funny and dramatic at the same time. It's also the first movie in a while that I've watched for this project that doesn't involve death. I really liked Poitiers line in reply to Tracy asking him about the children Potier and Tracy's daughetr would have.(They met in Hawaii): "She think's they'll all grow up to be President of The United States" That line is chilling now that we do have a mixed race President and that fact comforts me after my anti-racism rant from Do The Right Thing. I like that when watching the film, I was not at all bothered by the fact they were diffrent races, but rather shocked that they were planning on marrying after only knowing each other for only 10 days. This is one of those films that I am glad has aged subject matter. Hopefully one day it will be regarded as a farce

No comments:

Post a Comment